Thursday, December 13, 2007

Juno

I went to a free screening of Juno. That's always nice because I love free stuff but also because I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Hailed as this year's Little Miss Sunshine, my expectations for Juno were low. Though, being an Alias and an Arrested Development fan, I was thrilled by the cast. I was, however, disappointed that Jason Bateman and Michael Cera weren't in a single scene together. Throughout the movie, I was pretty angry. Mostly, it was the soundtrack that got to me. And also I couldn't help but to seethe at the thought of all the emo/indie kids that would think this was the greatest thing ever to be committed to celluloid. I also really hated the title character. I don't know if I take issue with Ellen Page or the character she was playing, but I didn't find her likable at all. I actually found her obnoxious most of the time. Mostly, I felt that no 16 year old, no matter how rebellious and sarcastic, could be such a bitch to the people around her when they're just trying to help her out, especially at such a serious time. Aside from her, I was absolutely wowed by all the other performances. My Arrested Development alumns were great along Jennifer Garner and her parents, played by JK Simmons and Allison Janney were especially hilarious. Though, throughout the movie, I wasn't impressed, I came home and found it really hard to hate it. It had it's funny moments. Definitely more than I expected. And it was a cute story. My general impression and official review, pending second viewing, is that it didn't suck and I didn't hate it. 

No comments: