Sunday, December 30, 2007

Golden Globe Predictions

With the Golden Globes (winner announcements, since it doesn't look like the show will go on) just around the new year, I bring you my predictions for the major categories. 
Starting with movies:

Best Picture Drama: No Country for Old Men
Hands down, clear winner. I don't think any other movie even has a chance, save for maybe Atonement. But I'm pretty sure No Country will start it's winning streak there that will end at the Academy Awards.

Best Picture Musical or Comedy: Juno
Though, I would prefer Sweeney Todd win it, I would be sincerely shocked if it did. Juno has what voters look for in a Best Comedy. It's funny but also self important. That's why a movie like Knocked Up would never be nominated, though we can agree it is way more hilarious. 

Best Actor in a Drama: James McAvoy (Atonement)
This is one of those underdog wins you see coming from a mile away. I think it's likely that he'll win it over the other bigger names in the category.

Best Actress in a Drama: Angelina Jolie (A Mighty Heart)
We might be sick of hearing about her in the tabloids but the girl can act. Runner up likely to be Kiera Knightley, but I hope it isn't.

Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy: Tom Hanks (Charlie Wilson's War)
Nuff said.

Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy: Nikki Blonksky (Hairspray)
My ideal winner would be Helena Bonham Carter but they're going to give it to the unknowns. Ellen Page would also be an extremely safe bet. Amy Adams has no chance.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)
This movie will sweep. Mark my words.

Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Because they're not giving her best actress.

Best Director: The Coen Brothers (No Country for Old Men)
If the movie wins any, it's going to be this one.

Best Screenplay: No Country for Old Men
If the movie loses any, it will be this one and they'll lose to Atonement.

Best Animated Film: Ratatouille
This one is a guarantee. Critical darling and family favorite. Bee Movie didn't live up to the hype and The Simpsons, though fun deserve a TV nomination, not a movie.

Now onto the TV nominees. This is hard to judge because so many of my favorites are up against each other.

Best Drama Series: Mad Men
Taking the place of The Sopranos, Mad Men is the new critical favorite and it's front runner. I don't know why Grey's Anatomy was even nominated. This entire season was terrible. If Lost hadn't been snubbed, I would be rooting for them. 

Best Comedy/Musical Series: Pushing Daisies
Though 30 Rock is better, I was amazed at how innovative Pushing Daisies was and voters are likely to agree. Something totally new and different.

Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical: Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Always hilarious and a favorite, I think Baldwin is a shoo-in. He is the funniest person on TV right now.

Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical: America Ferrera (Ugly Betty)
I don't think anyone named America should ever win anything. I don't think Ugly Betty is any good and she doesn't particularly impress me but I think she'll win. Runner up might be Christina Applegate who I love, though Samantha Who didn't really float my boat. I love Tina Fey but she won't win, neither should Anna Friel (Pushing Daisies).

Best Actor in a Drama: Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
This is one category that the premium channels are going to take. Bill Paxton has good chances and so does Johnathan Rhys Meyers for The Tudors. 

Best Actress in a Drama: Edie Falco (The Sopranos)
The mob hit got shut out of every other category on their last season, but Falco deserves the win. Kyra Sedgwick is a likely runner up. 

Best Supporting Actor: Jeremy Piven (Entourage)
I just hope Shatner doesn't win.

Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Griffiths (Brothers and Sisters)
Another show I despise but which will likely get a few wins. This is a pretty weak category though. Maybe one of the TV movie/miniseries will take it.

Click here to see the full list of nominees.

No comments: